Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Where did 2010 go?

How is it December 31st already? I can't believe it's been 2 months since I've blogged. And even more than that, it doesn't seem possible that it's been a year since I sat in this exact place bringing in 2010 with Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve.

This year has been full of surprises. Some surprises were hard to adjust to, faced with fear and uncertainty. Others were things God unexpectedly placed in my life (He's pretty good at that). Well, I could ramble forever about my thoughts on 2010. That doesn't sound appealing. So, let's move on to the significant events that happened this year.

The year began with a new roommate, Jamie. Claire, Ava, Jamie, and I were all a little unsure about how the four of us would get along and live in such tight quarters for four months. I was especially nervous because January started off with a stressful breakup that I was working through, and when you live in two tiny rooms with people, you can't hide emotions. There was no reason to be nervous though. God had it all worked out. The first week started off with a late night trip to the ER and lots of tears. I know it sounds awful, but we bonded faster than you could imagine. The four of us spent those four months making lifelong friendships and memories: we authored a quote book, had a roomie workout challenge, and of course, many heart-to-heart conversations. And that is how we become RFL: Roomies for Life. 



Spring Break 2010 gave me a chance to fly to Texas to visit the city of Abilene and see for myself the things that Erin had told me about. Okay, so that's not really why I went. I went to spend the week with my lovely friend Erin. We had a great week. I experienced the atrocious Abilene Mall, learned how to make Chinese, got to know Jaron better, and of course had many laughs courtesy of Erin. It was a wonderful Spring Break :) 


Along came Spring and I fell in love. Brenden swept me off my feet, while I denied his interest in me and went on "not-dates" with him. As the weather got warmer, we spent hours together walking the Paint Creek Trail, getting to know one another. Just before the semester ended, Brenden asked me to be his girlfriend. I remember the night vividly. When I went back to my dorm room, I didn't have to say anything to my roommates- they knew it was official just by the grin on my face. God sure does know me better than I know myself. He provided me with things through Brenden that I didn't even know I desired. 


The summer brought the weddings of four couples that are beautiful examples of love. You can read about them in my previous post.

I began my senior year at RC. When I started here in fall of 2007, never did I imagine that RC would have the place in my heart that it does now. I've had amazing blessings and opportunities, growth and challenges come into my life because of Rochester College. The first semester was filled with Sigma Phi Delta Nu mixers and pledge week, two weekends with my mom, many hours spent in RAC117 studying education, teaching 2nd and 3rd grade Sunday school at Rochester church of Christ, and supporting Brenden as he played the lead in the fall musical. My life was busy, but I wouldn't ask for it any other way. 

Ava, my roommate of three years and wonderful friend, had a beautiful baby girl. Elizabeth Giulienna was born on December 16th, 7 pounds 10 ounces. I can't wait to watch her grow and see Ava enjoy the blessings of being a mommy :)


And to finish off the year, Brenden and I took the train to Wisconsin to spend Christmas break with my family. It's been wonderful to relax and not have anything that has to be done. I can't believe where this year has brought me. 



Lately, I've been worrying about plans for 2011. But as I sit here watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve, reflecting on the year that's passed, I realize that there is no reason to fear 2011. As I welcome this new year, I will choose to be present. That is what 2011 will be about: living in the moment and being present in the events that this year brings. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment